Tuesday, April 7, 2009

remembering with etegami


Here's another wobbly one for you. These flowers were part of a bouquet I received from my husband on our wedding anniversary. I'd never seen flowers shaped quite like these, and I still don't know what they are called. I drew the flowers so that I could remember my husband's gift, even after the flowers themselves had long disintegrated. Etegami is, in fact, a wonderful way to keep a record of special events and things. The accompanying words say: "Sharing both the burdens and the joys." The letters were written not with a writing brush, but with the blunt end of a wooden skewer dipped in ink. I will discuss more alternative writing tools in future blogs.

3 comments:

  1. i randomly found this etegami and read your note to it. when i looked at this flower i thought to myself - this is an orchid. Look here http://www.eflo.ru/images/orhidei.jpg maybe you will find it any similar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maria, yes they may be related to orchids. I posted this a long time ago, so I don't remember exactly, but I think the tubular part that sticks out from the middle of the petals was quite different from the white flowers in your photo. Someone told me they were imported flowers, not native to Japan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh yes maybe it was a different flower but the etegami is just beautiful! I think i am getting hooked on your blog。 =)

    でび、ありがとうございます。

    ReplyDelete