Friday, August 13, 2010

illustration friday (star gazing)


This is a very simple black & white etegami I made for Tanabata, the Japanese Star Festival, which is normally celebrated on the seventh day of the seventh month each year. In Hokkaido, however, we celebrate it a month later-- in August. I used cross-sections of okra and sumi ink to stamp the star-shapes, and the way they're clustered is supposed to represent the Milky Way. But I've been thinking it would have been better suited to represent falling cherry blossoms, so I might try that next spring.

7 comments:

  1. Finally! A good use of okra! I think you're right that this would also look good as cherry blossoms. Thanks for visiting my site and your comment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great. I love that you used okra as a stamp. I'm growing okra in my garden and I will have to try that. I also enjoyed looking at your blog and learning about etegami. By the way, thanks for the nice comment you left on my blog. It was greatly appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice, I like the composition and the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love what you created, it speaks on so many levels, Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all for dropping by and encouraging me with your comments!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this - it reminds me of my art classes when I was a kid.

    ReplyDelete