Monday, September 26, 2011

dragons


My mind is currently full of dragons; The reason being that I start thinking of designs for my etegami nengajou (Japanese New Year cards) around this time of year, and 2012 happens to be The Year of the Dragon.

Here are a couple that I just finished. The first was inspired by The Tale of Custard the Dragon, a sweet and funny poem by Ogden Nash, which is too long to post here. The second was inspired by The Dragon of Grindly Grun, a funny poem by Shel Silverstein, which (in a strange way) appeals to my passion for cooking. It's short enough to quote in full, so here it is:

The Dragon of Grindly Grun

I'm the Dragon of Grindly Grun,
I breathe fire as hot as the sun.
When a knight comes to fight
I just toast him on sight,
Like a hot crispy cinnamon bun.

When I see a fair damsel go by,
I just sigh a fiery sigh,
And she'd baked like a 'tater-
I think of her later
With a romantic tear in my eye.

I'm the Dragon of Grindly Grun,
But my lunches aren't very much fun,
For I like my damsels medium rare,
and they always come out well done.

by Shel Silverstein (1930-1999)

6 comments:

  1. Nice ones! I just love the way paint bleeds to paper just a little and the colors are so fresh.<3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, ferocious and dragons are synonyms.
    Beautifully done.
    Paula

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Tale of Custard the Dragon is one of my favorite story poems. It's so interesting to see a new view of him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love these, and love the Shel Silverstein poem. I often read his poems to my classes when we have a few extra minutes...that's one I'll have to remember!

    ReplyDelete