Saturday, July 14, 2012

illustration friday (lost)

If you are a fan of the author Alexander McCall Smith, raise your hand. His charming and thoughtful series The No.1 Ladies' Detective Agency first introduced me to the African nation of Botswana and to Rooibos Tea (Red Bush Tea), which has since become my staple drink throughout the year. It has even been featured in my etegami.

Today I was reading The Dog Who Came In From the Cold (a Corduroy Mansions novel) by the same author, and I came across mention of a tea I had never heard of before. I googled "Malawian Lost Tea" and soon traced it to an African tea being sold by the Rare Tea Company under the name of Lost Malawi Tea.

This is how they describe it: "To compare this to an ordinary tea would be like comparing a line-drawing with a sculpture. This is like drinking normal tea but in 3-D."  Wow. Furthermore, "Each tin comes with a short story by Alexander McCall Smith."  Well, well, WELL!


13 comments:

  1. Is this some kind of weird synchronicity? I just drew a teacup also. Freaky! Gotta get hold of some of that tea. I love A.Mc.S as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the cup of rooibos yesterday. Good at any temperature:) And yes, I am a fan of AMS too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE! And author Alex is awesome, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know the reference, but I loved the tea cup and the words
    so full of mystery...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Debbie, I have not been by here for a while even though I have seen all your work on my reader I meant to comment. The China is beautifully and elegantly rendered. Now I am thirsty Excuse me, I think I will pour myself a cup of coffee before I go on. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm thinking I have to try these! Pretty illustration Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can feel where you are heading to...
    Let us know...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just beautiful! Wonderful teacup and the handwriting came out particularly great! One of my favorites. (Though I did love those colorful banners. Maybe they are all my favorite!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Debbie,

    This popped up on our Google alerts and we just thought we'd to tell you we love your illustration!

    We'll get in touch - we'd love to have a print of this on our office wall.

    All the best,

    Adam Gillett
    Rare Tea Company

    ReplyDelete
  10. Now THAT is neat. Love all the connections that happen when you follow the whiff of something that intrigues you. Great image, lovely thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm just reading Alexander McCall Smith's 44 Scotland Street series. He's always entertaining!

    I haven't heard of Malawi Lost tea, though I do remember when I lived in Malawi, the tea was very good. I had a tour of a tea estate over there.

    ReplyDelete