Sunday, January 6, 2013

storm in my soul

One of my groups on RedBubble has launched a challenge to put an image to the lyrics of a Kenny Chesney song called “Spirit Of A Storm.”

I'd never heard of Kenny Chesney, but I didn't need to read past the first line of the song to see the picture in my mind. I decided to re-use part of an etegami I had painted a couple years ago for my series on the East Japan Earthquake/Tsunami of March 11, 2011. I cut out the mountain and waves from the original etegami, and glued it onto another card decorated with hand-torn colored wispy washi paper to express clouds and blood-red lightning.

Part of me feels bad for ruining the original etegami (it quoted from a cool poem by Robert Frost); but mostly I was curious whether it could be re-born as part of another image. The color combination grates on my nerves, and I'm not really pleased with the results. This agitation has produced a storm in my soul. Considering the theme of the challenge, does that make it a success?


3 comments:

  1. Interesting commentary on this etegami Debbie! I think it does make it a success considering the theme. Hmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Spirit of a storm" seems to have played the right trick on your original work and turned it around to this newly born art piece.

    ReplyDelete